Friday, June 14, 2024

CONDUCT AND MATURITY IN CHRIST

I was teaching Sunday School a long time ago and I quoted the Amplified Bible version of Psalm 23:2. “He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.” I love the visual I get when I imagine being in that environment.

Someone in the class followed my statement with a snide remark: “So now, are we supposed to quote it that way too?”  The Holy Spirit had to hurry up and take control of my tongue because I was about to be very rude as I stood at the podium in house of God.

All these years later I still get a bit irritated when I recall that statement. I’ve rehearsed in my mind about a hundred ways I wished I could’ve responded.

Four days ago, someone who appeared to be picking a fight with me, made a snide remark in all caps to my comment on a Christian Facebook page. He was clearly provoking me. However, this time, my response was completely different than before. I wanted to love this fellow Christian into submission. I’ve spent a lot of these last four days praying for him and following his Facebook page to learn His temperament, which has made me intercess for him even more, and drop his name in my Prayer Box.

Thinking about the way I responded to these two incidents is a testimony to how God can mature His children. The Lord saved me 25 years ago, and I am by no means the same person I used to be. I still have a long way to go, so I’m looking for even greater maturity in Christ. I’m reminded of the passage in Hebrews that says:

Hebrews 12:5-6, 11 (NKJV) [5] You have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; [6] For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives." [11] Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins."

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove