Saturday, May 25, 2024

LEARNING TO BECOME

When I was in the 10th grade I worked in the school library during gym class because I hated Physical Ed. I flunked Physical Ed, but I learned a lot about books and working in the library during that semester. The librarian had me aligning all the books to the edge of the bookshelf so they were neatly arranged. That’s been about 45 years ago and I still align my books to the edge of the bookshelves in my home.

I have forgotten the librarian’s name. I could not identify her in a line-up. I’ve forgotten how to use the card catalog system, however I still line all my books neatly along the edge of the shelf; I also love the books on the shelves.

I think that was the catch, the whole time. God knew that I would come to love books, even before I knew it.

This reminds me of Joseph’s story. At the age of 17, God gave him a dream. But it did not come to pass till he was 30 years old. During those 13 years, Joseph endured a lot of turmoil but it was preparing him for his purpose, and he pulled it off very well, because he was appropriately trained for it. Joseph testified that God meant the turmoil for good to save the lives of many people through him.

In the 10th grade, I had no idea that I would become a writer, but there I was, in a library full of books learning to appreciate them.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove