Thursday, April 11, 2024

THE GOD OF PEACE

This was about 8 years ago… I went to Walgreen's and was heading fast down the straight-away between the aisles when Prima donna dressed to the hilt in leopard print (even her 5-inch heel sandals and tippy-toes) almost crashes head on into me coming out of one of the aisles. I was already in a foul mood when I went to the store and instead of her apologizing to me, I apologized to her and Prima donna sashayed on off as though it was my fault, and I was supposed to be the one apologizing. Because I was already in a foul mood, that drove my irritability radar soaring into the red zone. "Miss Thing with her leopard print toenails thinks she is too good for apologies," I thought.

By the time I made it to the check-out line, guess who lands right in front of me? Yes! Leopard toes herself! So now my irritation is directed to the Lord. "You would let her get right in front of me."


At the end of her transaction, she drops twelve cents on the floor. Without even thinking, I dove to the floor and picked it all up and handed it to her. She gave me a sincere “God bless you,” and walked out of the store.


In that moment, my heart melted, I forgot all about my foul mood and said, "Thank You Lord, You just gave the devil a black eye." I felt bad that all through the store I was thinking bad thoughts about my sister in Christ who happens to dress differently than me. Perhaps if I had not been speeding like a gazelle through the store, we wouldn't have almost had a head on collision. In truth, I did owe her an apology for judging her the way I did, simply because I was angry at someone else.


When I got home and pulled into the driveway, the Lord sent a beautiful blue jay to visit me on my front porch as a reminder that He is with me always... even concerning the thing that initially got me in the foul mood to begin with. I sat in my car and watched the blue jay play in our front yard for a minute or two as the peace of God flooded my soul and washed away the thoughts wreaking havoc in my emotions.

The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:7)

May the God of peace be with you all. (Rom. 15:33)

The God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. (Rom.16:20)


To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove