Saturday, February 17, 2024

BECOMING NEIGHBORLY

When I was about 7 years old, my dad told me to sit on the front porch and keep an eye on my baby brother while he played in the yard. He was a toddler and had only been walking for a very short time.

It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying being out there in it. Our next-door neighbor, Ms. Rose, came outside and called me over to the fence. As we talked, I turned my back to my baby brother and he wandered out into the street. Ms. Rose didn’t say a word! She just kept me distracted. Thank God we lived on a quiet street.

My dad came to the door and saw my baby brother walking in the street, and called us both into the house and gave me a spanking for not watching him.

A couple of days ago, I had an aha moment. I rarely ever talk to my neighbors, I’ll wave at them and keep walking but I won’t go over and talk to them. The aha moment was that Ms. Rose caused that. Talking to her got me a spanking, so I stay away from it. I felt that talking to neighbors was not worth it, so all they get is a wave.

Today I shrug that off! I will become more neighborly. I forgive Ms. Rose for her part in it, and I forgive my dad for spanking me. I pray that God will continue to mend my brokenness so I become a better person in all areas, and a more friendly neighbor to boot.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove