Saturday, June 25, 2022

RAISED IN CHURCH

Raised in Church

My grandparents on my mother’s side were true worshipers and devout Christians. My grandfather was a traveling evangelist who pretty much covered the state of Texas preaching the gospel.

My siblings and I were raised going to church. I remember my sister and I, sitting next to my mother with our feet dangling off the pew — my brother was not born yet, but they faithfully drug us to church. There were times when I dreaded it. I could tell some stories — but we’ll save those for another day.

I am 58 years old now and looking back I am really glad and thankful to have been raised in a Christian family. It was to my advantage. When I was in elementary school, the pastor was my Sunday School teacher and he made us learn our books of the Bible and recite them in front of the church. To this day I utilize those skills on a regular basis. God called me to be a Bible teacher, and having attended hundreds, maybe thousands of Bible classes has put God’s word in my soul so deeply that I feel committed to it.

There’s a blessing in being in the presence of God. His favor was handed down to me by my grandparents through their seed, and I’m walking in His favor because of them… and all the other brothers and sisters in Christ that came across my path since my feet dangled off those pews.

The Easter speeches, Christmas plays, youth choir, usher board participation, Bible drills, and numerous Sunday school teachers all played a part in who I am today.

The apostle Paul encouraged young Timothy who was also raised in a godly family saying…

“I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I’m persuaded is in you also. You must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-15)

My earthly father is in heaven now but today would’ve been his 80th birthday. I hope my life honors him. Happy birthday!

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove