Monday, November 30, 2020

Ask The Why

A story is told of a young bride that was baking a ham.  When her husband asked why she was cutting off the end of the ham, she replied that her mother made the best hams and she always cut off the ends.

He asked if she would mind if he called her up and asked why she cut the ends off the ham.

"Sure. Call her up."

"Hello mother. May I asked you a question?," he inquired.

"Sure."

"I noticed my wife is cutting off the end of the ham, and when I asked her why she said that you always did and you baked the best hams. May I ask why you cut off the ends of the ham?"

"My mother made the best hams in the county and she always cut off the ends."

"Hmmm, do you mind if I call her up and ask her why?"

"Sure. Call her up."

"Hello grandmother. I noticed my wife is cutting off the ends of the ham and when I questioned why she said her mother always did.  When I questioned her mother, she said it is because you always did and you baked the best ham in the county. May I ask why you cut off the ends of the ham?"

"Oh yes son, I cut off the ends because my pan was too small."



THE PROBLEM WITH TRADITION:
Matthew 15:1-3 (NKJV) Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, "Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread." He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?"