Sunday, January 03, 2016

We Give A Darn About Our Own

One of my favorite films of all time, that I could watch again and again is The American President (1995). I love, love, love teary-eyed endings. There are quite a few memorable lines in this movie that bears repeating... but one that is oh-so-key was stated by the president's Domestic Policy Advisor, Lewis Rothschild (played by Michael J. Fox).

Lewis Rothschild: "Two hundred and sixty four (264) million Americans don't give a darn about your life, they give a darn about their own, Mr. President."

How true is that? "What's in it for me?" That's what people want to know.

A wise man once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." But that unfortunately, is not how a lot of us think, even some of those that are elected to office for the express purpose of serving the people. We live in a dog-eat-dog society and we'd like to know what's in it for us. Simply, we give a darn about our own.

But Jesus taught a different concept... opposite of this world's thinking.

  • If any man come to Me, and hate not his father, and mother, and spouse, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yes, and even his own life also, he cannot be My disciple (Luke 14:26).

Jesus is not saying to hate in an evil way, but hate in a sense that we have less regard for the things of this world and more regard for the things concerning His kingdom. Jesus admonished us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to us (Matt. 6:33).

What got me to thinking about this is that I was going to post a blog about my 2016 Goals... then it occurred to me that no one wants to read about "my" goals... realistically, they care about their own goals and how "they" might be achieved.

As we grow in our faith and become more and more Christ-centered (making The Main Thing our main thing), everything will work together for our good because we love Him (Rom. 8:28). He rewards our commitment to Him by taking us higher and higher (He's a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him - Heb. 11:6).

Our Heavenly Father is never opposed to giving us the things that our heart desires. Sometimes we just have to abide on the vine for a little while before we bear the fruit (John 15).

Joel Osteen says, "Keep God first place, and He will take you places you've never dreamed of." He opens doors no one can shut and shuts what no one can open (Rev. 3:7).

  • Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. (Ps. 37:4-5)

So, its 2016. I have my goals in my pocket... and a prayer in my heart as to how I might serve God's people better this year. I hope and pray that as we go forward this will be reflected here on The Writer's Blog. God bless you, my friends.

Go in peace.