Saturday, October 12, 2024

THE TEST OF SUCCESS

Matthew 18:1-4 (NKJV) At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

First Things First

The first thing we’re taught in these verses is the significance of conversion that is manifested by childlike humility, sincerity, trust, and dependence on God. The surest mark of a true convert is humility, not status in the church.

Instead of seeking a place of service in the kingdom of heaven, the disciples lost sight and began to seek positions of honor and high regard. “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Mark’s version of this story says the disciples had disputed among themselves who would be the greatest among them.

Self-Examination

The test of success is truly a heart-searching test. The apostle Paul told the church of Corinth to examine themselves as to whether or not they were in the faith (2Cor. 13:5).

There will come a day when we, the church, will stand before the judgment seat of Christ to give a personal account of ourselves to God (Rom. 14:10, 12). Something to remember as we pass through this life.

Jesus told an interesting parable about a Pharisee and a Tax Collector…

Luke 18:9-14 (The Message) Jesus told His next story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people: “Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one was a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: ‘Oh God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.’ “Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face buried in his hands, not daring to look up, said, ‘God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.’” Jesus commented, “This tax man, not the Pharisee, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you’re going to end up flat on your face, but if you’re content to be simply your (childlike) self, you will become more than yourself.”

We must turn from the mind of the Pharisee to the mind of the Tax Collector, so we may go home justified and made right with God. When we humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord, He will lift us up (Jam. 4:10).

Humility is the passing of the test of success.

The apostle Paul pleaded with the Lord three times about his thorn in the flesh. Jesus said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” From that time Paul’s attitude became, “I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2Cor. 12:9-10).

Paul laid aside his status and influence and laid hold on his weaknesses, because God’s power is better displayed through our weaknesses and limitations.

Every time I sit down to write a blogpost, I have no idea what I’m supposed to say, nor how it needs to be said. I just study the word of God and pray. The next thing I know is that I’m hitting the publish button to post it on my blog. I am always amazed that something came out of nothing. I continue to see God’s power being displayed through my weakness. That’s how He rolls.

Philippians 2:3 (NKJV) Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each one esteem others better than himself.

Go in peace and may God richly bless you.🙏

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove