Sunday, February 05, 2023

COUNT IT ALL JOY 😢 REALLY?

Counting It All Joy

I have struggled with the passage in James that says to count it all joy for a long time, because I don’t know how to be broken and joyful at the same time.

James 1:2-3 (KJV) My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

James 1:2-3 (NKJV) My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

The believer can expect various trials and divers temptations on this Christian journey. They are the trying of our faith that produces patience. They work to complete us so we lack nothing.

"Count it all joy means to develop a new and improved attitude that considers trials from God’s perspective.” I saw that on the gotquestions.org website.

The enemies of God still hate God, so neither do they care for His saints. We can expect that trials are a part of the Christian experience. Sometimes God will open a door for the enemy to attack the believer as He did in Peter’s denial (Luke 22:31-34, 54-62). At the end of the trial Peter wept bitterly. This is not a tear rolling sweetly down his face. This is that ugly cry where he uses a whole box of tissues. But from God’s perspective, as a leader in the church Peter was now ready to encourage the saints in their struggles.

James is not suggesting that we pursue trials like a courtship, but merely acknowledging that we will surely “fall” into various trials or divers temptations. God does not expect us to pretend that trials are enjoyable because they are difficult and painful.

Romans 12:15 (NKJV) Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

God does not expect us to walk around with a fake smile on our faces when we’re breaking on the inside. But God does permit trials for a reason. A while back I did a blogpost about going through a trial and others were with me on the journey enduring their trials. At the end of the road, they walked on up to higher ground, but I went back through the trial again. God elevated them because they got what they needed from the trial but I did not so I went back through it again.

Here's the link to that blogpost: https://richardsonblogger.blogspot.com/2021/01/another-go-around-on-potters-wheel.html

Life’s experiences can make you or break you. When the prodigal son came to himself wallowing in the hog pen, he became a changed man (Luke 15:17), and took on a servant’s heart. The prodigal’s brother felt that their father owed him something for being such a great son. The experience definitely changed the prodigal, but the brother still had issues.

So… my struggle with James is not as intense as before. And I would say that counting it all joy is just an opportunity to say:

“Heavenly Father, thank You for what You’re doing in me as a result of this trying of my faith. If it is possible Father God, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not my will but let Your will be done. Increase my faith and endurance. Let the Prince of Peace fill my soul so that I don’t fall apart under its weight, for Your grace is sufficient, and Your strength is made perfect in my weakness. Rebuke the enemy on every hand, for the weapons of our warfare are mighty in You Father, for the pulling down of strongholds, and setting captives free. I ask You for wisdom and revelation so that I will see from Your perspective what You are accomplishing in these trials. Faithful Father, please let me feel Your presence on a regular basis and be strengthened by it. Keep reminding me of Your love and faithfulness so I will not become discouraged in these trying times. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.”

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove