Tuesday, August 09, 2022

THE SPANKING

Father of Chastisement

I was about 7 years old, and my baby brother, Ricky, was a toddler just learning how to walk. My dad told me to sit on the front porch and watch Ricky as he strolled around the front yard, and make sure he did not wander into the street. Our neighbor, Mrs. Rose, called me over to the fence and started talking to me, so that my back was to Ricky, and sure enough, he wandered into the street. She didn’t say anything, she just kept me distracted long enough for my dad to come to the door and see what was happening. He brought us into the house and gave me a spanking because I disobeyed him. I felt really hurt by the whole thing, to the point that it spun me into a depression. I laid in bed and would not eat, nor interact with anyone in the house. It was an honest mistake, and I did not feel it warranted a spanking. Having had enough of it, my mom went and told my dad that from now on, she would be responsible for spanking the children. I climbed out of bed and returned to normal activity. He never spanked me again, but this incident stayed with me down through the years.

I struggle even now, when our Heavenly Father chastens me. I never feel like I’m intentionally being a wayward child, just a human being that occasionally makes mistakes. I grew up in a very legalistic church environment. As a result, I came away with a really uncharacteristic opinion of God. To me, He was this impossible-to-please judge waiting with gavel in hand, ready to smack me over the head for every little transgression. Those lambasting sermons that I grew up on have built up deeply rooted spiritual strongholds that causes me to become offended even by a certain tone in the preacher’s voice, or how “he chooses” to express himself throughout the message.

The writer of Hebrews says that no one likes to be corrected and disciplined by God, but His discipline shows that He deeply loves us.

Hebrews 12:6 NKJV For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.

Hebrews 12:11 NKJV Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Confronting sin is necessary for spiritual growth. Let me be clear about that. Not dealing with sin can be destructive, but how it’s dealt with is also important.

In yesterday’s blogpost, I talked about Facing Up to Life’s Experiences. (Link to Blogpost) This is a good example of that tree in our front yard blocking my point of view. I need almighty God to pull these strongholds down and renew a right spirit in me. I will keep my eyes on Jesus as we walk it out day by day. Soon my picture of God will not be the mean-spirited judge leaning over his bench with gavel in hand, but a loving heavenly Father that embraces His little girl, even when she happens to mess up.

Revelation 3:19 NKJV As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore, be zealous and repent.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove