Monday, August 08, 2022

FACING UP TO LIFE'S EXPERIENCES

Looking out our living room window there is a tree blocking my view. But if I go to the bedroom window, I can see everything. My nosy neighbor vibe likes the bedroom window because there’s a better point of view.

This comparison can sometimes be how we also view life. If life’s experiences cause us to see things with a defective point of view, that can be like the tree in front of our living room window blocking the view.

The point of view from our living room is not the same point of view as the bedroom, and the tree blocking my view is even bigger now than it was when I moved in.

In His sermon on the mount, Jesus said, “The eye is the lamp of the body. You draw light into your body through your eyes, and light shines out to the world through your eyes. So if your eye is well and shows you what is true, then your whole body will be filled with light. But if your eye is clouded or evil, then your body will be filled with evil and dark clouds. And the darkness that takes over the body of a child of God who has gone astray—that is the deepest, darkest darkness there is.” (Matthew 6:22-23, The Voice Translation).

In the movie, The Shack, Jesus told Mack Phillips that the tragic experiences of his past were consuming him inside and out, but it could be resolved if Mack would stop looking at the circumstances and focus on Jesus.

Jesus said, “Mack, don’t think about the past. Don’t think about the pain. Look at Me! Everything is going to be okay. Trust Me, none of this can hurt you. Just keep your eyes on Me. Breathe! I’m not going anywhere.”

In the moments when I feel my hope fading, and my strength growing weak, I stop what I’m doing and seek a word from the Lord. I go on Facebook where I follow all my favorite preachers and ask God to send me a word. Or… I’ll pull up my music app and find a song I can put on repeat that will feed my spirit the nourishment it needs for the moment. Or… I’ll find a quiet spot to speak to the One who sticks closer than a brother.

The apostle Peter was literally walking toward Jesus on water. As long as he was focused on Jesus he continued to walk on water, but when he looked at the boisterous waves and became afraid, he began to sink.

When the pain of your past is blocking your view, find a way to get your eyes on Jesus (the way, the truth, and the life). He will heal you everywhere you hurt.

If you haven’t seen that movie, The Shack, I suggest you watch it. It is the perfect representation of God, and His love for us.

The lamp of the body (heart, head, and conscience) is the eye (window to the soul). If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad (defective), your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness! (Matthew 6:22-23)

If the window to your soul has something blocking it, then light cannot shine through, and it will grow bigger and bigger like the tree in our front yard, and block more and more of your view of life. 

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.
(Sung by artist, Lauren Daigle)

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove