Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Setting Priorities

Get out of Martha's kitchen.

Martha was the hostess with the mostest. She knew how to put on a feast and hook it up exactly right. Jesus and the disciples came to her house for dinner, and she was doing what Martha does best.

Undistracted by all the busywork going on in the kitchen, Martha’s sister Mary went and sat down at the feet of Jesus to listen to what He was teaching. Martha came to Jesus and said, “Lord, don’t You care that Mary has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me.” Jesus gently answered her, “Martha Martha, you are worried and troubled by many distractions, but one thing is needed. Mary has chosen devotion and it will not be taken away from her.”

Some years back, my mother and I had a conversation about Mary and Martha. I defended Mary’s devotion and my mother who is the perfect likeness to Martha, of course defended Martha’s busywork. She said, “Well… somebody had to do the cooking.” I had no come back to that. She was right.

I went home that day and got on my knees to speak with the Lord about it. I said, “Jesus, my mama said, ‘Somebody had to do the cooking.’” Jesus answered me back and said, “I would’ve just eaten figs.”

Luke 10:42 NKJV One thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove