Thursday, September 02, 2021

Hopes and Dreams Unfulfilled

 

Why does God seem to dangle carrots in my face (my hopes and dreams) and keep them just beyond my reach? It hurts to have hope when you’ve been deeply disappointed… trying to get up again and again after you’ve fallen really hard.

Pastor Steven Furtick said to sit with Jesus for a little while and let the Holy Spirit show you how things should be. Don’t depend on what you see with your eyes, he said, but let the Spirit enlighten you.

When Jesus was twelve years old, His family went up to Jerusalem to celebrate the Feast of the Passover. When the days were finished, and as they returned to Nazareth, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. But Joseph and His mother did not know it; and assuming He was in the crowd, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. When they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. After three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. So when His parents saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.” And Jesus said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” But they didn’t understand the statement which He spoke to them. Then He went back home with them to Nazareth, and was subject to them. (Luke 2)

Twelve-year-old Jesus said to His mother, “I thought you knew I must be about My Father’s business.” He had a hunger for it, and lost track of time for three days. Joseph and Mary took Jesus out of the temple and back to Nazareth and we hear nothing else about Him for 18 more years. I wonder if twelve-year-old Jesus was seeing a dangling carrot.

Sometimes I feel in bondage to my calling because I hunger for it, but it never seems to get off the ground. I am constantly being taken back to Nazareth (so to speak). I must work and pay my bills and I cannot do both ministry and a full time job. When I’m working my mind is bombarded with many other things and I cannot focus on writing and studying.

My dangling carrot could be my own selfish ambition. Maybe it’s all about me instead of Jesus. The purpose of a dangling carrot is to keep you under the mastery of whatever your idol is… if hopes and dreams are your idol.

During the 18 years of silence, the Bible says Jesus grew in wisdom, stature, and the favor of God. He wasn’t ready at age 12, and apparently I’m not ready either.

Jesus said, “I am the living bread which came down from heaven. He or she who comes to Me shall never hunger, and they will never thirst.”

Let me sit with Jesus a little while longer as Pastor Furtick suggested, so the bread of life can feed me till I want no more.

Pray for me. 🙏

Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove