Saturday, August 07, 2021

My Prayer to Overcome Evil

I am struggling with loving my enemies. I know this is what Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount. “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” But the ungodly and evil people vex my soul so badly that I just want them to die and get out of the way. The apostle Paul said, “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

The psalmist David said in Psalm 139:19-22, “Oh that You would slay the wicked, O God! Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men. For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.”

I must admit that I relate more to the psalmist David than to the apostle Paul. When I see people doing evil for sport, it makes me so angry. They do not sleep unless they have done evil, and their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. It seems insurmountable how the heart of any man can entertain such evil.

In that moment, I am not wanting to pray for these people or love them. It makes me teary-eyed that what Jesus taught us to do is the polar opposite of what I really want to do... rise up and beat the snot out of them.

My husband was watching a western this morning in which a cowboy came to a house where a young lady and her grandmother lived. He just up and decided to take over the house... take over the granddaughter and do as he pleased with her. Now, am I really supposed to pray for this person, and give him food and drink, and treat him kindly? Not!!! He will probably get kicked in the you-know-whats and dragged out of my house by his hair, and if he is still conscious, kicked some more till he is unconscious. Then I will call the police.

The apostle Paul said to overcome evil with good. Perhaps I should study what evil he is speaking of. I should also seek the Lord concerning my own hard heart, and for the darkness that is in me to become light.

I do know these evil people do not know what is causing them to stumble in this way. The prophet Ezekiel said, “As for those whose hearts follow the desire for their detestable things and their abominations, the Lord will repay their deeds on their own heads.”

The psalmist David also said, “Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity, for they shall soon be mowed down like grass, and wither as the green herb.”

Heavenly Father, create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. Please do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. In your presence is fullness of joy and I delight in You with all my heart. Help me to be patient while I wait on You to fight the battles that need fighting. Renew and increase my strength when I am weary. Cause me to lift my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help for my help comes from You. Preserve us from evil and deliver us from the evil one. Let Your truth be my shield and buckler. Make me walk in the path of Your commandment to love my enemies, and not be overcome by evil, but to overcome evil with good. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove