Monday, February 15, 2016

Retribution and Retaliation

When we are wronged our natural instinct is to fight back or be angry and hold a rocket-sized grudge against the evil doer. I, for one, have had my fair share of struggles in this area. I could hold a grudge long after I had forgotten what I was even ticked off about.

But Jesus taught us differently... to love our enemies and bless those who do us wrong. Speaking for myself (and possibly many others), this is a hard thing to do, but not impossible; for every believer has the power of the Holy Spirit at work within us and we are able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we dare to ask or think. The fruit of the Spirit that He brings with Him when He comes to live in us is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness and temperance. These virtues are nurtured in us and like a mustard seed they grow as we mature in these areas.

I have to confess my great struggle in this area. When I see victims of violent acts, my first response is not to love the evil person as Jesus taught. I secretly wish they would have the evil done right back to them but in greater measure.

Well, yesterday I watched a movie called The Equalizer played by Denzel Washington.
PLOT SUMMARY: "Robert McCall, a man of mysterious origin who believes he has put his past behind him, dedicates himself to creating a new, quiet life. However, when he meets a teenage prostitute who has been manhandled by violent Russian mobsters, he simply cannot walk away. Armed with a hidden set of formidable skills that allow him to serve vengeance against anyone who would brutalize the helpless, McCall comes out of his self-imposed retirement and finds his desire for justice reawakened. If someone has a problem with an evil person, and the odds are stacked against them, the Equalizer would help them get revenge." -Sony Pictures Entertainment
You would think that I would have enjoyed seeing these evil people get their just-deserves but honestly it did not hold the satisfaction I thought it would. Because I am not evil at heart, I could not be happy that these evil people were receiving the retribution they so equally deserved. I was surprised at my reaction. I thought I would've been cheering as each one came to his terrible demise, but instead my emotions were saddened. I was relieved that they would not be able to inflict evil on anyone else, but at the same time saddened by the circumstances of evil that existed in them. You think revenge is sweet, but it leaves a very bitter taste.


“Vengeance, retaliation, retribution, revenge are deceitful brothers; vile, beguiling demons promising justifiable compensation to a pained soul for his losses. Yet in truth they craftily fester away all else of worth remaining.”  ― Richelle E. Goodrich

If we are overcome by evil then we are the conquered party. But if we overcome evil with good then we are the victors and have subdued the enemy.

The Lord said vengeance is His and He would repay them. It's really for our own good. There's no real relief in trying to get even with our enemies. God is the best judge for distributing justice and our job is to work with the Holy Spirit so He can heal the hurting places left behind by mean-spirited people.

I really don't want to come off sounding high-and-mighty or make light of how deeply devastating evil can be. Lord knows I have struggled and struggled with my attitude toward these kind of people. But if I end up being the same as them, where is the nobleness in that? How does that make me any different than them? There has to be a difference in darkness and light.

  • Rom 12:14, 17-21 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord. Therefore, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
  • Proverbs 4:14-17, 19 Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on. For they do not sleep unless they have done evil; And their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness, And drink the wine of violence. The way of the wicked is like darkness; They do not know what makes them stumble.
  • Ps 37:1-2 Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
  • Ps 11:6 Upon the wicked He will rain coals; fire and brimstone and a burning wind shall be the portion of their cup.

Heavenly Father, there is one person that I need You to help me forgive and love with sincerity. Forgive my hypocrisy in pretending that everything is okay when it is not. I confess my weakness in not letting You take care of my hurts and wounds. Be my strength in this I pray. Amen

Go in peace. The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.