Thursday, February 18, 2016

Daddy, I Wanna Sing

No Can Do!
Because I love music so much, one of the first things I requested of the Lord when I came to Christ, was to make me a singer. Most of the people in my family have great singing voices or they can play the heck out of an instrument... very musically inclined.

Driving alone in my car (with windows up), or in the shower, I can carry a pretty good note, but publicly on a stage, not so much. So I asked the Lord if He would anoint my voice so that I can fulfill my dream of being a singer like the rest of my family. After all, the Bible says to ask and it shall be given... for everyone that asks receives. I even told the Lord that I would travel the world singing and He would not even have to pay me to do it. I would sing for free if He could get me to the stage and back home. And I meant that. My motivation was not to use the gift to become wealthy, I just wanted to sing. Period. I thought because my motivation was pure, He should be okay with it.

Time passed (and passed) and my many attempts at singing outside the shower proved futile. In other words, I failed miserably at the singing thing and God was pretty silent about it for a while.

Finally, one day, the Lord explained why He would not let me sing.
"Baby, your whole life I raised you up to be a teacher. I let you endure things even as a child that would enhance your gift and skills. I instilled in you the study gene and all the necessary tools that enable you to study My word in depth. If I make you a singer now, it will be a great distraction, pulling you away from everything I have built up in you. I am sorry sweetheart, Daddy cannot make you a singer."
I felt His disappointment, that He had to turn me down. I knew what He said was truth. If He allowed me to sing, I would be too busy writing lyrics, rehearsing and performing to actually give myself over to the study of His word. It was disappointing but I gave up the notion of singing out in public.

Now, fast forward a few years. I was driving to work early one morning and a song came on the radio by The Canton Spirituals called Heavenly Choir. I was listening to the story and I heard the voice of the Lord say, "I'm going to let you sing in the heavenly choir." I gasped! Instinctively, I knew that He meant in the hereafter, I would be a member of His heavenly choir. I said, "Lord, You're going to let me sing in the heavenly choir?" He said, "I'm going to let you lead songs in the heavenly choir." I was speechless and emotions welled up so that I almost had to pull over. Tears were flowing down my face and I forced myself to pull it together before I caused a traffic accident.

When I finally got straightened out, I said, "Lord, I am deeply honored... and this more than makes up for not being the next Whitney Houston, here on my earthly pass-through." (In the shower, I always sound just like her. LOL!) 

Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

When I turned 50, I suggested to the Holy Spirit that if we were going to be able to really accomplish a lot before I died, we should probably get this show on the road. I have less years left to live, than have already been lived. I know He called me to be a Bible teacher but it didn't seem to be progressing as quickly as I wanted. His response was that if I thought my gifts ended with my death, then I was thinking too small. I believe God's heavenly kingdom will be an extension of the church that we now see, with spiritual gifts still in operation.

In regard to my prayer to be a singer, the answer was no-can-do. But in my opinion, it couldn't have turned out any better, because I am still wow'd by the fact that He will let "me" lead songs in "His" heavenly choir. (SMH) Even the Lord's no, is just like a yes.


And we have a song that the angels can't sing, because only the redeemed can say, "I am redeemed."

Go in peace.