Thursday, January 14, 2016

Forgiveness

One time I asked the Lord if He would grant me 24 hours of not having the deal with the devil. He said He would, and I was happy because at that time, I really needed a break.

The following day, I was having a very peaceful day when I had an evil thought run through my mind about someone that I was offended with. I said to myself, "I thought the Lord said that He would give me 24 hours of not having to deal with the devil." I figured the evil thought had come from the devil, but I shrugged my shoulders and went on. Later that same day I had another evil thought about this same person. This time I said to the Lord, "I thought You said You would give me 24 hours of not having to deal with the devil." He said, "I did."

"Hmm," I said. "Well, if it wasn't the devil, and I know it was not You, then it must have been ME! Oh, My God!"

Because I was harboring resentment in my heart, my thoughts were evil towards this person, even when the devil was being kept at bay. Because of unforgiveness, I could not even have a good thought about him. It wasn't until I forgave him that I was able to get my thinking under control.
  • Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
We become our own worst enemy when we allow our carnal side to override our spiritual side.

It just so happens that this offender got very ill. In fact, he could not even raise his head off the pillow. I became so distraught about his illness that the anger I felt toward him vanished and I began to pray continually for him that God would heal him. Forgiveness came - the Lord helped me to let go of my anger.

Forgiveness is not easy, but in the hands of the Potter, we are molded into a masterpiece. The apostle Paul said that we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that we should walk in good works (Eph. 2:10).

The Lord forgave us all our debt of sin and trespasses, should we not also have compassion on those that trespass against us? (Matt. 18:32-33)
  • Matt. 6:14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
Though the Lord admonishes us to forgive it does not mean that the offender is totally off the hook.
  • Luke 17:1-6 (American Standard Version) And He said unto His disciples, It is impossible but that occasions of stumbling should come; but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were well for him if a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, rather than that he should cause one of these little ones to stumble. Take heed to yourselves: if thy brother sin, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he sin against thee seven times in the day, and seven times turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. And the apostles said unto the Lord, "Increase our faith." And the Lord said, "If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye would say unto this sycamine tree, be thou rooted up, and be thou planted in the sea; and it would obey you."
Our forgiveness does not lessen the punishment of the offender, but it does take the offense out of our heart and gives us peace of mind. In deepest humility, I call to mind the picture of Christ hanging on the cross for my sin, and it helps me to forgive the offender of his or her trespass against me.



May God bless you. Go in peace.