Saturday, November 14, 2015

Judging Sin


The above audio link is a sermon by Pastor Steven J. Cole entitled The Sin of Judging Others published 5/30/2013 on the Bible.org website. I ran across it quite by accident (or providence) but it is very profound teaching on judging sin.

I recently posted an article on homosexuality and how I thought the church should deal with it. Click here to read that blog post. 

I feel so passionately about the subject of judging because I grew up in a very legalistic church environment. And as a result, I came away with a really uncharacteristic opinion of God. To me, He was this impossible-to-please judge waiting to smack me over the head with His gavel at every little infraction. It isn't God, but it's the accuser of the brethren, who has been cast down (Rev. 12:10) that make accusations against us.

"YOU!!  AGAIN?"

When I left home and was able to make my own decisions about attending church, I did not attend for many, many years. When I came to Christ (at long last), He taught me a lot about His loving grace and I finally saw Him as who He truly is.

As a teacher, I probably tend to be too lenient - although I do understand the gravity of sin and the great price Christ paid as penalty for ours. He who knew no sin became sin for us, that deserved what He got. But He loved us so much that He endured the cross for us, despising the shame. Now, who couldn't love a Judge like that?

FORGIVEN AND LOVED

Pastor Cole's teaching puts a slightly different perspective on judging sin, than does my own teaching. So I wanted to add his teaching to my blog in the spirit of getting to the bottom-line truth of God's word. I absolutely stand behind my teaching on homosexuality... but I add Pastor Cole's teaching to it because I believe we should teach the whole counsel.

A few things he said that made me go, hmmm...
  • "Confronting sin is a necessary component of church growth. Not dealing with it can be destructive to the whole body. There were cases in the apostle Paul's epistles where he boldly confronted sin in the church."
  • "Jesus compared people to swine and dogs (Matt. 7:6), which means we do discern and judge people for who they are."
  • "When we think we're better than others, we sit in judgment of their actions. It is a sin to judge someone in your heart, even if you don't say anything. It's pride."
Not every case will be open and shut, and not every situation can be handled the same. He that win souls is wise. Jesus said, "Behold I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

Jude 22-23 On some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Go in peace.