Tuesday, November 17, 2015

God's Grace Behind The Scenes


I was reading through an old journal and found a tidbit that I had written about specific times when I recognized God's grace at work in my life. Number one on that list was:
  • The day I met Pastor Joel Miller at the McKinney Food Drive. As soon as he began speaking, I knew it was a God meeting.
It was November 2009, and I was listening to the radio and the host was speaking with Pastor Joel who was soliciting help for a food drive he was sponsoring to help needy families for Thanksgiving. The very next day I was getting dressed for work and saw this same gentleman on the local news talking again about the food drive. There was something in me that was so moved by his story, that I felt I must help.

Pastor Joel was on a hunger strike until a collection of 30,000 food items could be collected for needy families experiencing hard times. When I got off work that day, I purchased some things and attempted to find the drop off location, but it was dark and I had no clue where I was going. The following day I went again, while it was daylight and found the truck. There was something driving me, that would not let me give up seeking it out.

When I met Pastor Joel at the drop off, he introduced me to his lovely family. I told him I was touched by his story and felt so strongly that I should help in some way. He took me aside and encouraged me and he prayed with me. One thing that he said that I knew was straight from heaven's throne room to me was this...
  • He was planting a church in Allen, TX that would encompass a multi-cultural membership of different ethnicities.
My mouth fell open when I heard those words. Prior to that moment, I had been thinking a lot about heaven. The picture that kept replaying in my mind was of all nationalities and colors of people surrounding the throne of Jesus and worshiping Him. When Pastor Joel spoke of planting a church that looked like that, I wanted to be a part of it.

Another significant thing about this "chance" meeting was that I had begun to fall away from my walk with Christ and started living in carnality. Pastor Joel had a busy schedule but he stayed in contact with me (as a shepherd tending his flock). He called me and sent me emails to encourage me. When I wanted to give up on being a Greeter at church, he encouraged me to stick with it. God encouraged me through his sermons so many times. I am grateful to have experienced his example of leadership and I was able to get my relationship with Christ, back on track.

Along this journey, we will experience God's grace many times and in many ways. He is always behind the scenes doing His thing. I was glad to run across that journal entry, for it was yet another reminder that God was with me then and He is still with me now. God said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

I love the Footprints in the Sand poem and always find it so encouraging.


May God richly bless you during this season of giving thanks.

Go in peace.