Saturday, September 12, 2015

God's Word... A Consuming Fire

or is it just me?
Is it hot in here, or is it just me?
O LORD, You have deceived me, and I was deceived. You overpowered me and won. I've been made fun of all day long. Everyone mocks me. Each time I speak, I have to cry out and shout, "Violence and destruction!" The word of the LORD has made me the object of insults and contempt all day long. I think to myself, "I can forget the LORD and no longer speak His name." But [His word] is inside me like a burning fire shut up in my bones. I wear myself out holding it in, but I can't do it any longer. (GOD'S WORD Translation Jer. 20:7-9)

Jeremiah's ministry was very unpopular -- he preached and prophesied of Israel's temporary destruction. They were going to be captured and enslaved to the Babylonians for 70 years because of their sin and backslidden state. They hated Jeremiah for it and they cruelly mocked him. Jeremiah said, "I have become the ridicule of all my people -- their taunting song all the day." Even those that were close to him were scheming to see how they could ensnare him, and get their revenge.

Once, Jeremiah was put in a human sized birdcage and hung over the town square as people walked to and fro mocking him. He became very angry. Jeremiah accused the Lord of seducing him because the Lord was the master of persuasion and Jeremiah had fallen victim to His enticement. Jeremiah decided that he would refrain from declaring God's word because continuing to do so was having such a negative impact on his life.

But the Lord's influence was stronger than Jeremiah's will to refrain. Jeremiah was tempted to throw in the towel but the Lord caused Jeremiah to be overcome with heat radiating from his body -- like women who have hot flashes. The word of God being held up inside Jeremiah felt like fire shut up in his bones (literally). I know this, because that's what I'm going through right now. I decided to shut down canDEElicious Video Ministry (or put it on an indefinite hold) -- and I tell you the truth, sometimes I am overcome with heat even when the temperature in the building is very comfortable. I also have hot flashes, so I know what that feels like -- and this is very different.

Hot flashes, for me, feels like some one is holding a heater very close to my face. They only last for a few short minutes, then passes. But... the fire shut up in my bones is like my whole body getting really hot (not just my face). And, its not like a heater on the outside but heat generating from the inside. That's what Jeremiah experienced when he said, "His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, and I could not."

The Lord said to Jeremiah, "Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations" (Jer 1:5). "You did not choose Me but I chose you," Jesus said. God was not about to change His mind because Jeremiah was having second thoughts. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable (Rom. 11:29).

When the children of Israel were being deported to Babylon, Jeremiah was given a choice of whether to stay in Judah or go to Babylon. He chose to stay in Judah, but later fled to Egypt after a group of fanatics killed the Babylonian governor appointed over Judah. It is believed that he died there in Egypt, never having returned to Israel neither suffered the slavery of the Israelis.

One should count it a privilege and an honor to be called of God for service in His kingdom. But on that day when our service seems more than we can bear -- we look to Jesus.

If we let it, discouragement will hinder us from running our race, as it deteriorates our motivation. But when we look to Jesus, our reason for running, He will help us to stay in the race, and finish strong.

The apostle said in Acts 20:24, "None of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy; and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."

1 Cor. 9:24-27 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. (New Living Translation)

Thank You Lord for filling me with Your Holy Ghost and His mighty burning fire.

Go in peace.