Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Overcoming Stupidity

Never let the stupidity of others lead you to a different destination.
Dr. Maya Angelou said that we are not to be reduced by our mistakes. But still, we rise. We accept responsibility for our mistakes. We forgive ourselves. We repent to God. We sincerely apologize to whom our ineptness has caused displeasure and pray they accept it.

We have a right to decide (along with God) where our lives are headed and never let the stupidity of others lead us to a different destination. Even if we are forced to make a detour, we must let go of our failures and press toward that goal. Go around the barriers or over them or through them. But let us run with endurance the race that is set before us looking to Jesus, who is the author and finisher of our faith.

Chris Gardner said to his son, “Don’t ever let somebody tell you that you can’t do something, not even me. You got a dream? You’ve gotta protect it. People who can’t do something themselves want to tell you, you can’t do it either. If you want something, go get it! Period.” No settling. Period.

Still, I Rise by Maya Angelou Out of the huts of history's shame, I rise... Up from a past that's rooted in pain, I rise... I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide, Welling and swelling I bear in the tide. Leaving behind nights of terror and fear, I rise... Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear, I rise... Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave. I rise, I rise, I rise.