Wednesday, January 04, 2023

THE HUMANITY IN US

Sometimes when I see the inhumanity and unkindness of my fellow human beings, it makes me sad. Watching the news day-after-day is disheartening at times because they report all the mass killings, and injustice, and wars, and viruses going on in the world. I said in prayer a few days ago that I feel frustrated with Adam and Eve because their failure got us into this mess of a world that seems to be getting worse.

Since then, the Lord has been showing me good-hearted, and warm-hearted people through my Facebook feed (like people being kind to animals, and a man that stopped his car to clear the road of debris so others could pass), and other things in my day-to-day activities.

Then… while watching Monday night football, Damar Hamlin had a heart attack in the middle of the game. I have watched and followed this story closely ever since. I cannot tell you how uplifting it has been to see my fellow human beings reacting with such love and compassion. It has given me a refreshing in my soul, like drinking a cold glass of iced water on a very hot day. The tragedy of this young man has brought us together in a way that I don’t think I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. It’s overwhelming to see how we come together in times like these… even his teammates, and the news anchors were shedding tears. Everyone praying everywhere. People that don’t even know him personally, drove from out of town to the hospital just to support his family members, feeding them and providing for them. They held prayer vigils outside the hospital. Astounding!

The one thing I’ve learned from all of this is that I need to seek out the good in people on a regular basis. I’ll still watch the news so I know what to pray about, but I will also look for stories of good-hearted people – the true heroes in this world that make living here worthwhile.

Some time ago I started watching old episodes of The Price is Right because it makes me feel good to see the contestants win prizes, and it give me something to cheer about. I sit alone in the Living Room applauding for them and it makes me feel good inside.

I believe Damar Hamlin will recover because many, many prayers have gone up on his behalf. I cannot wait to see what the Lord does through him. The lives he has affected all over the world is already quite remarkable.

Be encouraged my friend. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13).

I am no longer frustrated with Adam and Eve. Today, I’m at peace.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove