Friday, July 15, 2022

ENOUGH CHASTENING

Heavenly Father, I know that out of love, You chasten and rebuke us so that we may grow and become disciplined. The Bible says, “Do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when He rebukes you.” But might I also remind You that the Bible says, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, lest they become discouraged by the root of bitterness springing up in them.” Out of love, You chasten us, but out of love, surely You also know when the children have had enough chastening and it is time to back off.

I remember a time when I went to church, and every Sunday the pastor brought a fiery sermon. I became so discouraged that all I could do was drag myself away from the building feeling pitiful. I wanted to please You, but all I got in return was a scathing rebuke. There has to be a balance between scolding and nurturing. Far be it from me, to tell You how to parent Your children. But I will ask my Father if He will have mercy on us. Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away; nevertheless, not our will, but Your will be done.

Permit us to come boldly to Your throne of grace concerning this sensitive matter. Father, please be merciful. Be full of grace and compassion. Let Your favor rest upon us. Let Your face shine brightly upon us in our weariness. Please don’t let us drown in despair. Jesus came that we may have life, and that we may have it more abundantly. Take away the shackles so we can be free. You have to know when enough is enough, and we need for You to free us… to turn our captivity as You did for Job.

When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion, they were like those who dream. Their mouths were filled with laughter, and their tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them.” (Psalm 126)

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are glad. Thank You, our faithful Father.đź’š

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove