Wednesday, June 01, 2022

LEAD ME ON A SMOOTH PATH

Psalm 27:11
Teach me Your way, O Lord,
and lead me in a smooth path.

Two days ago, I published a blogpost called “Is It God’s Voice or Just My Thoughts?” Link To That Post  I told the story of a guy named Kevin that was fixing his washing machine, and God spoke to him, but he didn’t realize it was God until it was too late.

We feel spiritually high in church on Sunday morning in the presence of God, but we don’t expect that same presence while repairing a washing machine, or washing dishes, or mowing the lawn, or grocery shopping. It might be easy to forget that He is still with us, at all times, and in all things. Access is always available.

This morning I came out of the restroom and headed down the hall to the living room in the dark. I have walked this path many times and feel comfortable navigating without the lights on. However, this time, I bumped into the buffet table that is in the hallway and stubbed my baby toe really hard.

When I got settled in my chair, I got to reflecting on the life journey I’m on right now and my throbbing toe caused me to connect the two.

Lately, I have been feeling like I’m on a journey that I don’t know how to navigate. All the confusion is making me seek to hear God’s voice more clearly, and be led more specifically so I can stop bumping into stuff. The Lord God said of the spiritually blind, “I will bring them by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, and not forsake them.” (Isa. 42:16)

He is the way, the truth, and the life, and although I am navigating some rough terrain, God has said that He will never leave me nor forsake me.

I read a story about a guy that was seeking God regarding a job transfer within the organization where he worked. One of the positions was in management and the other was in editorial directing and writing. He did not receive God’s audible voice or concrete evidence telling him which job to take. He just felt an uncomfortableness about the management position and a lot of peace about the editorial position. The tug in his spirit was toward the editorial position, so that is the one he took and he was happy with the job. By faith, he followed the quiet nudge, and turns out that was God leading him.

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and lead me on a smooth path. Lord, help me to be sensitive to Your voice and Your word that I may know Your will and avoid confusion. Give me discernment of the sound of Your voice, that I may know the difference between Your voice, and the voice of the enemy, and my own wayward thoughts. Let Your peace, which surpasses all understanding, guard and rule my heart and my mind through Christ Jesus, my Mediator. You are not the author of confusion. Take away my uncertainties. Take me by my hand and lead me on a smooth path, that Your will and purpose may be fulfilled.

To God be the glory.
Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove đź•Š