Friday, October 15, 2021

The Picky Eater Child

My Version of Slam-Damn
When I was a kid, my mother had a dish she called "Slam-Damn". On days when she didn't feel like being in the kitchen for an hour, that's what we ate for dinner. She said Slam-Damn is "anything you slam in a pot and don't give a damn if they eat it." I remembered this when I recently baby sat some picky eaters that came over everyday after school. They were very hard to please.

After doing a lot of research on the subject, I discovered that this behavior is not even related to food at all. A lot of kids use it as a mechanism to eliminate pressure or give them a sense of control. It's not really about what's actually on the plate at all.

In her book The Picky Eater Project, co-author Sally Sampson said, "Don't give the picky eater a lot of 'air-time' because it can just be a struggle for attention. Don't make a big deal about what the after school snack is or how much they need to eat. To a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet. (emphasis mine) Don't create a negative eating environment by allowing tantrums. Eliminate this with discipline and correction."

Proverbs 22:15 (TLB) A youngster's heart is filled with rebellion, but punishment will drive it out of him (or her).

As a zealous Christian, I might try to re-name Slam-Damn to something else, but the concept is truly profound. đź‘Ś

Heavenly Father, I pray for the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I may soundly and gracefully handle every situation I face.

Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove