Friday, September 10, 2021

Anger Issues

Eleven days ago, I received a text message that made me very angry, and I threw my cell phone across the room. I did not immediately go to pick it up. I left the room and it laid on the floor for a while before I returned. When I picked up my phone, immediately a feeling washed over me, and I felt like I wanted to fling it across the room again. Instead, I quickly walked over and put it on the charger to get it out of my hands. Thankfully it was not damaged from being hurled in anger to begin with.

I have been contemplating this act of aggression for days now, and what must be going on in my heart that caused me to react in such a manner that surprised even me.

I ordered a CD by a Christian teacher called Understanding Anger. It was somewhat useful but still did not bring me the breakthrough deliverance I was hoping for.

One thing I did get out of his teaching was the passage of Scripture where the apostle Paul says not to let the sun go down on your wrath.

Ephesians 4:26 (NKJV) Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath.

He said not letting the sun go down just means that you are not ignoring the fact that there is an issue causing you anger but is not being dealt with. It does not mean literally when the sun go down, just that it is being dealt with in the Spirit realm to bring some kind of resolution. Trying to pretend the dilemma does not exist is only doing harm to yourself. This is why I reacted by throwing my phone across the room. The text message that made me angry is the result of unresolved issues I have refused to deal with, because I don’t really know how to deal with it without offending everyone involved.

Unresolved anger issues give the devil a foothold into the door of our hearts. When we let the devil ride, he’ll want to drive. I must put him out by inviting God into my situation. CeCe Winans sings a song that God never lost a battle, and He never will.

The apostle Paul said of his dilemma, “I am not ashamed, for I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.”

James 5:16 (NKJV) Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

I’m reminded of a song by Donald Lawrence called Deliver Me. Here are some of the lyrics.

Starting here, starting now
The things that hurt you in the past
Won't control your future
Starting now, this is a new day
This is your Exodus; you are officially released.
This is my Exodus, thank You Lord.

Heavenly Father, thank You for opening my eyes to the thing that has been controlling me in a destructive way. I commit the dilemma and my anger that has resulted from it to Your hands. I invite You into my situation and pray for the wisdom I so desperately need to bring resolution. I know You are faithful and You know my heart better than anyone. I acknowledge my transgressions, but I also believe my Savior Christ Jesus has cleansed me thoroughly with His blood, and all my sins in the past, present and future were laid at His feet when He hung on that cross. I submit to Your correction as You sanctify me fully little by little and day by day. This is my Exodus from bondage. Never let me wonder from Your grace that is greater than my sin. You never lost a battle, and You never will. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove