Sunday, May 23, 2021

He's God - I'm Not

 

The thing I had been praying against pulled up... my anxiety and anger shot up like a rocket. I really wanted to be offended. But instead of reacting as I normally would, this time I said, "Lord, You are God and I am not. I'm just a squirrel down here trying to find a nut. How ever You want to handle it is just fine with me. Whether You make it easy, or whether You make it hard, I'm here! I'm in it for the long run and not going anywhere."

Later that same day, I realized that behind the scenes God had worked it out in a way I had never expected.

I'm reminded of the story of Mary and Martha, when they sent for Jesus because their brother Lazarus was sick unto death. Jesus waited two more days before He went to see about Lazarus but by the time He arrived Lazarus was dead and buried. This whole thing was so that God would be glorified through it, because He raised Lazarus from the dead and brought him out of the grave.

God was not trying to drive up my anger, He was showing me that He was answering my prayer all the time, that I may believe... that I may believe that He does indeed hear all my prayers and answers them even if it is in a way I did not anticipate. I am so relieved that my immediate response in anger was not to point the finger at God as though He could not be trusted to answer my prayers.

In hindsight, when I saw what He had done, I stood before Him with all thankfulness and humility. He is God and I am not. He was there all the time as the Good Shepherd, preparing a table before me in the presence of the enemy.

I heard a preacher say, "Has there ever been a time that God used the thing you wouldn't have chosen to change you in a way you would not give back?" My answer to that is, "Yes."

We're all hoping for God to intervene for us in some way. Don't lose hope because "your" expectations may not be the way He works it out. Hold fast to God and trust His timing. It ain't over till it's over, and it ain't over yet. Let go and let God have His way.

Be blessed,

Dee Richardson, Voice of the Dove