Thursday, January 21, 2021

The 46th President

Yesterday, America inaugurated the 46th US President, Joe Biden. I must say it is like welcoming Spring after a cold, hard, unrelenting Winter. We made it. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning, and I believe it is early morning in America. The sun is not out yet, but it’s morning.

My prayers for Joe Biden the morning of the inaugural were deeply fervent and earnest. I believe our God has heard our earnest prayers and we will see Him at work on behalf of Americans.

As I listened to the priest say the opening prayer at the inaugural ceremonies, he said something that captured my attention, “malice toward none and charity for all”. As the apostle Peter encouraged us, let us lay aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking. Let us not hate either president… past or present. The apostle Paul said to pray for men in authority so that we may lead peaceful and quiet lives.

After Richard Nixon resigned from office and left the White House, newly appointed President Gerald Ford said in his inaugural address, “My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.”

When I start to see trees budding in early Spring, I am hopeful that soon I can return my coat to the back of the closet because I will not need it for a while. Everyday that I see more and more leaves, my hope gets brighter and brighter.

The 23rd Psalm has been laying heavy on my heart these last few weeks. In particular, the verse that says even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because the Good Shepherd is with me.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still and quiet waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23

God bless the United States of America