Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Memorial of My Pastor

It’s been 16 years since Pastor LeRoy Lott was buried. He was my pastor when I came to Christ in the Spring of 1999. True Faith Church did not judge me for my short skirts and lipstick, they just accepted me and loved me as Christ drew me to Himself with cords of lovingkindness. It really doesn’t seem like that long since he’s been gone. I know that he has been missed, and for sure his absence has left a void. He was a great preacher, he called his sermons fireside chats. They were definitely fiery. 

I recall one of his sermons about God telling Ananias of Damascus to go and pray for, and baptize Saul of Tarsus. Ananias was a little leery because Saul had been persecuting the saints in Jerusalem. But the Lord told him that it’s okay now because Saul was not persecuting saints anymore, he’s praying now. By this time, Pastor Lott has come down from the pulpit and was preaching under a mighty anointing. “He’s praying now!”, he belted out. 

Not long after the Lord saved me, I was thinking about the change God had made in my life. I noticed that some in the Bible received new names after their encounters with the Lord. Abram became Abraham. Jacob became Israel. Saul became Paul, and I became SugarSweet. Wow! God gave me that name through Pastor Lott. For a long time I thought that God was calling those things that be not as though they were, because I surely did not feel like a SugarSweet at all. 

Right after Pastor Lott died, I saw a vision of church members working out in the field. Everyone had their heads down and was diligently working with their tool to tend the field. I happened to look up and saw Jesus coming down the path toward the field. Pastor Lott looked up and saw Jesus, as He waved at Pastor Lott to come to Him. He dropped his tool and went to Jesus. He put His arm around my pastor’s neck and they both turned and walked back up the path together. 

I know he is in heaven enjoying Jesus, hallelujah. Save a seat for us Pastor Lott, as Fred Sanford used to say, “Elizabeth, we’re coming to join ya!”

Voice of the Dove, Dee Richardson