Monday, December 21, 2015

Solitude: My Favorite Writing Tool



The first thing that distinguishes a writer is that she's most alive when she's alone. -Martin Amis
There's a tremendous difference between alone and lonely. You could be lonely in a group of people. I like being alone. I like eating by myself. I go home at night and just watch a movie or hang out with my dog. I have to exert myself and really say, oh God, I've got to see my friends 'cause I'm too content being by myself. -Drew Barrymore
When I write, I lose time. I'm happy in a way that I have a hard time finding in real life. The intimacy between my brain and my fingers and my computer... Yet knowing that that intimacy will find an audience... It's very satisfying. It's like having the safety of being alone with the ego reward of being known. -Jill Soloway
What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be. -Ellen Burstyn
I only go out to get me a fresh appetite for being alone. -Lord Byron
I'm fascinated with myself and love hearing the sound of my own voice. I'd like to hear what I have to say. A lot of people don't like being alone because they truly don't like themselves, but I love me. -Gene Simmons
Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your own presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement. -Alice Koller
I think to be a writer you have to enjoy being alone. I was a loner as a teenager and was always drawn to characters in books and films who were at the fringes. -Markus Zusak
I never felt isolated; I just liked being alone. I think that some people are good at being alone, and some people aren't, and as a child, I really liked it. -Karen Slaughter
I'm the most communal person that exists and a very solitary person. So I think writing is a form of getting to the community and being alone, and it's the best of both possible worlds. -Ariel Dorfman


Go in peace.