Sunday, July 05, 2015

Loving the Unlovely

It seems like every time I am faced with the task of loving people that I do not necessarily find appealing to my own character, I flunk the love test. I'm really struggling with this right now.

But I'm reminded that love is not only an emotion... but something I do on purpose. It's how I treat the unlovely in spite of how I feel about them and in spite of the fact that I want to be far away from them. Jesus hung out with cheating tax collectors and prostitutes who were miles from His own good behavior but He loved them just the same. He showed them His love and affection and they were won as a result. Jesus was a Friend of sinners.

I am not sure why I have such a problem with this - I don't hate them but I definitely don't want to hang around them as Jesus did. I don't hold ill feelings toward them and I don't wish them any harm but I simply don't like them. I am not sure of the difference between love and hate... if the feeling that I have is not love, then is it hatred?

The Scripture in 1 John 4:20 states, "If someone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?" It's a thin line between love and hate and I am not sure where I stand in the measure of it, but I know that I love God and I don't have love toward all my fellow men and in a lot of cases could live the rest of my life away from them and be perfectly okay with that.

Jesus said, "If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." (Matt 5:46-48 Message Bible). Jesus is saying here to treat everybody the same. Don't just greet the people I like, also greet the people that I don't like in the same way.

Romans 15:4-6 (NKJV) For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Our faith walk is a learning experience for sure. In my humble opinion, I think what matters most to the Lord is our desire to please Him even when we find ourselves on the outskirts of living out Scripture perfectly. I can hear His voice saying, "Accept My grace, when you are weak then I am strong." Maybe by this time next year, I will be better at loving the unlovely, and two years from now better still. Everyday we grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are being conformed into His image day-by-day.

Go in peace!