Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Upper Hand

When I was in the 10th grade in high school, I enrolled in a beginner’s typing class. I struggled and struggled to keep up with the class. When the teacher gave us timed typing tests, I always fell way behind the class and did not seem to be improving. When the teacher saw I was a hopeless cause, she recommended that I see my counselor to transfer out of her class, to another elective. I believe the good Lord’s hand was upon me, I ended up making it through high school having taken multiple typing classes, even though that teacher tried to discourage me from the get-go.

Coincidentally, I ended up choosing the secretarial profession, and when I graduated from high school, I went to secretarial school where I took more typing classes. To be honest, my typing speed never improved that much, even as a secretary. Today, I still only type about 50 words per minute. However, I managed to put in a good 25 years as an Administrative Assistant. I believe the good Lord’s hand was upon me all the while. Anyways, I’ve gotten very good at hitting the Backspace key and proofreading my work.

In addition to the secretarial career, I also managed to pick up a love for writing somewhere along the way, which also requires a sufficient amount of typing. ☺ Writing is my new passion, of late. I hope to be successful at publishing many literary pieces someday. I believe the good Lord’s hand is still on me to accomplish it.

This morning I was reminded about my 10th grade typing teacher, who tried to put an end to my destiny before it ever got started. But she could not.

Even though I would apply for secretarial jobs and not be able to meet their typing speed requirements, it did not hinder me from landing good paying jobs (without passing typing tests). The good Lord’s hand was upon me to accomplish it.

The race is not given to swiftest, nor the battle won by the strongest, nor bread to the wisest, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill – but it is for those whose hand the good Lord is upon. We have the Upper Hand (the hand of the good Lord), and His mercies are great… tremendous… and all encompassing.

Now thanks be to God who always leads us to triumph in Christ, and through us spreads the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. (2 Cor. 2:14)

Put your hand in the hand of the Man who stilled the water
Put your hand in the hand of the Man who calmed the sea
Take a look at yourself and you will look at others differently
Put your hand in the hand of the Man from Galilee.