Saturday, May 05, 2018

Hotter Than Fish Grease


I was boiling some eggs, one time, and a close friend called me to meet her for drinks. Immediately, I grabbed my purse and ran out the door, forgetting that the eggs were still boiling. When I got back the pot had boiled dry and eggs exploded all over the kitchen. There was egg debris everywhere… ceiling, walls, and floor. Weeks later I was still finding shards of eggs hidden in and around kitchen appliances.

I can’t explain the science behind it, but I know that it has something to do with the inner temperature of the egg releasing explosively.

I give this example because something very similar happened to me this week. I am the egg that boiled dry and exploded all over my coworker.

I have worked with this individual for about a year. I know she is self-centered and I have fallen victim to her antics many times. But what I’ve been doing in the name of keeping the peace is going-along-to-get-along. I never confronted her antics, I just figured a way to get around them to keep on track with my assignments. But inside, my animosity toward her was building like steam in a pressure cooker. For a whole year I fumed inside, without any steam being released, and then Thursday morning… the explosion.

As another coworker put it, “I was hotter than fish grease!”

I found out the hard way that this kind of pinned up anger is not healthy and is like a pressure cooker ready to explode. You think you’re keeping the peace by not making waves but the person in chaos is you.

Banish bitterness, rage and anger, shouting and slander, and any and all malicious thoughts—these are poisonous. However...

Not all anger is a sin…

When Jesus had made a whip of cords, He drove all the money changers out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the money changers’ loot and overturned their tables.

When you’re angry, don’t let it carry you into sin. Don’t let the sun set with anger in your heart or give the devil room to work.


Give the Holy Spirit space to keep you at peace. Don’t give that space to any other.