Sunday, March 12, 2017

Rest and Relax

When the Lord sent Manna to eat out in the wilderness, each morning the children of Israel were to collect enough to have for the family to eat that day, with no left overs. If they collected more than they could eat that day, the Manna bred worms and gave off a foul odor.

But... so they could have a day of rest, they were instructed to collect twice as much on the sixth day so they could rest on the seventh day, and in that case the Manna did not go bad over night. Also, no Manna fell on the seventh day, so even if they went out to collect, there was none on the ground.

Moses even commanded them to stay inside on the seventh day. It was to them a day of rest. The cloud that led them by day and the fire by night, did not move on the seventh day. It was a Sabbath rest for the children of Israel.


Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.

In the beginning, when God created heaven and earth, He also rested on the seventh day. After everything was completed and He had ended His work, the Bible says, "He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done (leaving us an example). Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work."

It is not a sin to stop and relax. Jesus said to His disciples in Mark 6:31, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going and they had not even had time to eat.

Sometimes I feel guilty if I take a lunch break in the middle of a busy day. But God is teaching me that it is needed and He is not disappointed with us if we are not able to complete our whole to do list in one day.

When I first came to Christ in 1999, I thought I had to fill up my week working for Christ.  I joined several auxiliaries and boards at church. I started a church newsletter (which most did not read). I taught Sunday School. I was wearing myself out. I began to feel distant from the Lord, and that bothered me. I was tired all the time. I remember one Saturday night I literally stayed up all night preparing for church the next day. I had so much to do, that I shrugged off sleep.

Finally, I made a list of all the work that I was doing and posted it on my bulletin board. It was about 16 different operations that I was involved in. I told the Lord to close the door on the ones that He had not appointed, and leave the ones that He wanted me to continue. As He closed the doors one by one, I crossed those items off the list and it gradually dwindled down to 4 things that He wanted me to do. My relationship with Him was restored, and I got my sleep back.

God is not in the business of wearing His people out doing a work for Him. Jesus said, "Come unto Me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."



Get some rest. It's okay!